Thursday, October 11, 2007

America vs. Hip-Hop...






As I was reading through the most recent issue of The Source with my dude David Banner on the cover at a stop-over in Raleigh, NC I noticed one detail that disgusted me. McDonald's has officially dropped Twista from their nationwide tour because of his "controversial lyrics". Bull. Shit. Personally, I don't take the Oprah stance (every rapper is the spawn of Satan) or the Russell Simmons stance (RESPECT THE POETS) I stand that rappers are entertainers and that people aren't so simple that they go kill someone after listening to 50 Cent or go sell cocaine after listening to the Clipse. Because, a rapper chooses what they say, and you choose what to listen to. So if you don't want to hear Hip-Hop then don't watch Hip-Hop shows, we don't care. It's when people decide to attack us that people get interested... Anyone else watch Neil Cavuto making an ass of himself on FOX debating with M-1. My other problem: DON IMUS. He said something, I agree it was disgusting, yes, but mainstream media just used that as an excuse to continue their assault on rap culture. Do you really think Don Imus sits at home listening to Too $hort and screaming "BIOTCH!" in his spare time? No, Don Imus figured he could get some shock value out of what he said. Would he have said the same thing if rap music didn't exist, I don't know. In todays increasingly PC culture where everything has to be upbeat and perfect. Essentially, reflecting a darker reality is no longer "in" for mainstream culture. When I see rap being blamed for the acceptance of words like "bitch" and "ho" I am appalled. You really think that if rap music didn't exist everything would be perfect and happy and there would be no crime? No. Do I think that some bad has come from hip-hop, yes, who doesn't? But, much more positive has come through. What will you have to hate when rap is dead? Concerned for the welfare of the American youth? Offended by the harshness of it all? Fine, but there are much bigger problems than Twista's lyrics to deal with right now...

(If you have a problem with what I'm saying, leave a comment)

No comments: